Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Final Photo Project

For some reason I've been picking up my camera less and less these days. I don't like that. And I need to start documenting again. I know part of it is because I REALLY want a new camera, but that is just not in the cards right now....so all excuses aside, I will be taking more pictures again.

I thought I'd post my final project for my photography class from last semester.

For some reason I'm pretty nervous to post these.

With all of the Occupy Wallstreet movements going on throughout country at the moment (it was especially on my mind in November when I took these pictures) I decided to focus my final assignment on the power of protest. More specifically how protest really links generations of people together...

I took 3 photographs and attempted to make them look as though they were from different periods of time. The first being the late 50's, early 60's, the second being the late 60's, early 70's, and the last fitting anywhere between the 80's and today. When sifting through numerous images of protest not only from the Occupy movement, but others such as the Civil Rights movement and the protests in Wisconsin, I noticed similar terms found on the protest posters used. So, I decided to use common phrases of protest to try to show that link between generations and the different protests that come with them.




It's sad to say that I was really swamped with tons of other projects while this was going on, so I don't think it's the best I could do by any means. But hey, it is what it is. Hopefully it satisfies at least the tip of what I was thinking.

2 comments:

  1. Love these! I think you did a great job, Lexi. :) Don't be discouraged about your camera; the camera doesn't make art, the photographer does, and you are certainly doing a good job of that. I really like the different eras, interesting idea.

    Also, Ben is looking good, so that's a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Leila. Completely true about the camera. And Ben, haha.

    ReplyDelete